Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
What you will need:
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 4 shallots, peeled and finely diced
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 1 bulb of fennel, half finely diced and half quartered
• 1 lemon, halved
• 150 g arborio rice
• 100 ml Beronia Rueda Verdejo
• 500 ml vegetable stock, hot
• 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
• 4 tbsp Parmesan or vegan hard cheese, grated. Plus extra to serve (optional)
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• ½ tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Place 2 tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan and fry the shallots, garlic and diced fennel for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir through for 2-3 minutes until it looks slightly translucent. Pour in the Beronia Rueda Verdejo and stir until cooked into the rice.
- Begin to add the stock, one ladle at a time, allowing the rice to absorb the stock as each ladle is added. This will take 10-15 minutes until the stock is fully absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- Add the lemon zest, Parmesan, salt and pepper to the risotto and stir through. Place a lid on the pan and turn off the heat. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile; place the remaining olive oil in to a separate pan and sauté the quartered fennel and lemon halves on a high heat for 4-5 minutes, until slightly charred. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To serve, divide the risotto between two bowls. Top with the sautéed fennel, parsley and Parmesan. Garnish with the burnt lemon halves.
Wine match: Beronia Rueda Verdejo
A lively and aromatic white wine made from the Verdejo grape variety. It’s dry and fruity with flavours of ripe stone fruits and aromatic herbs, with floral touches, fennel and freshly cut grass.