What you will need:
•500g whole black sea bream (ask your fishmonger to remove scales and entrails)
• 200g coarse sea salt
• 2g fennel seeds
• 2g chilli seeds
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C, 170C fan oven or gas mark 5. Line a baking tray that’s slightly larger than your fish with grease proof paper.
- In a bowl, place the coarse sea salt, the fennel and chilli seeds and add 2 tablespoons of water. Mix this together to create a sandy texture that is slightly sticky. The mixture should be compact and should hold together when firmly patted down. If you feel you need to add a little more, do so in small quantities and mix until the desired texture is created.
- Place about half the sea salt mix on the paper and spread this out so that it is roughly in the size and shape of the fish. Place the fish on top of the salt mixture and cover with the rest of the salt mix, patting this down so it’s firm and encases the fish completely.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven and slide a sharp knife into the main body of the fish. Carefully touch the knife and if it’s hot, the fish is done. If you think that it needs a little longer, place it back in the over for a few minutes and check again.
- To serve, transfer the fish to a serving dish and garnish with a few wedges of lemon. The salt on the fish should be hard so whack it with the back of a spoon to crack the salt shell and gently peel it away from the fish, taking care to brush any excess salt off your fish (as you don’t want to eat this bit). Using a knife, carefully find the bones and lift the fillet up so that the fish opens up. Discard the skin and bones and serve with
Wine match: Beronia Rueda Verdejo
A lively and aromatic white wine made from the Verdejo grape variety. It’s dry and fruity with flavours of ripe stone fruits and aromatic herbs, with floral touches, fennel and freshly cut grass.
Recipe from Ambiente Tapas
Spectacular recipe by Ambiente Tapas for their Beronia Txoko! Take on a challenge in the kitchen and create this dish at home for your amigos.